It Won't Save the Print Industry, but Not Too Shabby

I'm an unexpected convert to the Kindle. I love how easy it is to carry several books at once. I love how I can read one-handed on the subway. I love that I don't have to worry about losing bookmarks. I love the built-in dictionary to look up confounding words. And I love that if I forget my Kindle, it's synced with my iPhone, and I can pick up reading at the exact place I left off.

But the Kindle is far from it's ultimate ideal, and the Kindle's current state isn't fantastic for reading magazines or newspapers. I believe the print magazine industry is in for a big hurt, and all the dreams of locking out Google, and paywalls and tablet-versions aren't going to save it -- in whole. But Sport Illustrated's new demo does show how magazines can have a compelling digital life on a tablet, or Kindle-like device.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: